Firefox 4 has finally been released. In this article, I’ll just highlight a few about:config tweaks that may help. To get there, just open up a new tab, type about:config and hit enter, and click I’ll Be Careful, I Promise. Use the filter box at the top to find the specific settings. To change a value of a setting, double-click it, or right-click it and choose modify of toggle.
- Single Line Spellchecking: use layout.spellcheckDefault – Change the value to 2, by double clicking it or right-clicking and selecting modify. This enables spellchecking on single line text fields.
- Faster Panorama: use browser.panorama.animate_zoom – Change the value to false. This will turn of the zoom effect and make everything run smoother.
- Save Tabs on Quit: use browser.showQuitWarning – Change the value to true. Firefox will now ask you if you’d like to save your tabs before you quit the application.
- Remove Frequent Sites from Right-Click on Taskbar in Windows 7: use browser.taskbar.lists.frequent.enabled – Change to false. Filter by browser.taskbar to see other options for the taskbar
- Disable Location Awareness: use geo.enabled – Change to false. This will not stop websites from using other techniques to guess your location
Bonus Tip: Quick Find: Go to Options -> Advanced ->Accessibility and turn on Search for Text When I Start Typing. Now to search for text on a page, just start typing and don’t bother with Ctrl+F.